Sunday, January 16, 2011

Day 9 & 10 - The End

The last two days of my time in Cancun were official days off, that consisted of sleeping in, sightseeing around Cancun downtown and snorkeling in the sparkling sapphire ocean! For one of our delegates, it was her first time in the ocean, so it was pretty special time!!

But there were a few formal things left to do before the long flight home. On the Saturday evening we went back to Moon Palace to see the SBI session where the decision regarding Article 6 that was reached in the Contact group the day before was discussed!

We managed to get a hold of the Chair of the SBI before the session and he agreed to give out the Gold Stars!!  Here is a link to a YouTube clip showing what happened!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_N9vzeWCrM

We were just so excited and so proud! It was a great way to end my time at COP16. I was so lucky to go to the conference as it was a fantastic chance to see how the international process works and just what progress is being made. Too often people feel disconnected to the international process – what impact could I possibly have on such a HUGE endeavour. However being a youth delegate as part of WAGGGS showed me that even an ordinary Guides Leader like me can make a difference to the decisions that our governments make!

Being in Mexico was awesome – it has really boosted my capacity as a Girl Guide to be the change that I want to see in the world – and now I can’t wait to share it with every Girl Guide in Australia!! 

Some of the Article 6 Working Group and our Gold Stars!!

The Chair of the SBI handing out our Gold Stars!!

No comments:

Post a Comment